Our moms and sisters are the closest people to our hearts, and for Christmas, the best holiday gifts are always reserved for them! These gift ideas are also great for your boyfriend’s mom or sisters.
- Make Up For Ever travel brush set ($75 – my review of their brushes here) – this brush set is the perfect size and combination of brushes for those who want to upgrade their $20 drugstore brush set. Make Up For Ever’s brushes are hand made using synthetic fibres and a wooden handle. While synthetic, their bristles are some of the softest I’ve ever used and also pick up a good amount of product, not unlike natural hair brushes. This brush set includes a face/cheek brush and eye brushes, a complete set to create a full look on the face.
- Guerlain Petrouchka palette from A Night at the Opera collection ($95 – my review here) – hand’s down my favourite palette of this holiday season, the Guerlain Petrouchka Eye and Cheek Palette is the perfect luxury travel palette. Containing 5 eyeshadows and 4 blushes, you can create a plethora of looks using this little compact. It’s expensive, but collectors will know its value.
- Crabtree & Evelyn gift sets – Crabtree & Evelyn is offering several gift sets for body care, men’s care, fragrance, and even food for this holiday season. Use their convenient gift finder to find the gift for everyone in your family. My recommendation? The Hand Therapy Paint Tin.
- Baby Quasar Pure Rayz ($249 – my review here) – My mom has been using this for the past little while and so far really likes it. While it is preventative on me, its wrinkle-fighting properties are great for my mom. Pure Rayz is the least expensive, “entry-level” console from Baby Quasar. If your mom likes this gift, you can always upgrade to the luxury version next year!
- Kiehl’s gift sets ($50+) – As mentioned earlier, Kiehl’s does customized gifts for everyone on your list, complete with complimentary gift boxes and wrapping. For mom, I recommend grabbing a Nighttime Essentials set containing the Midnight Recovery Concentrate, the Midnight Recovery Eye, and also some minis of customers’ favourites anti-aging products. I’ve also reviewed a plethora of Kiehl’s products that you can also check out to compile your own gift.
- Clinique the Nutcracker Suite collection – For sister, this is a great travel set or entry-level makeup set, especially for a younger sister who is just starting to get into makeup. While the quality isn’t fantastic (see my review here), the colours are great for the holiday season and
- Rocky Mountain Soap Co. Sugar Plum set – the Rocky Mountain Soap Co.’s Sugar Plum scent for holiday just smells amazing, and they have several gift sets available that feature this scent.
- Micro Pedi ($39) – a godsend for those with dry, cracked feet. I’ve tried using those manual scrubber things and it just takes TOO long. The Micro Pedi has a spinning wheel that removes all dead skin from your foot, leaving your skin silky smooth, and in just under 10 minutes for both feet! Perfect for those busy moms out there.
- Nuxe gift sets – if you don’t yet know, Nuxe is a French pharmacy brand that creates super practical products that are effective yet inexpensive (you can see some of my review here). Some of their cult classic products include the Huile Prodigieuse, a body oil, and their rose-based skincare products. Their holiday gift sets feature several of their most-loved products for both the face and body, and are available at select drugstores such as Shoppers Drug Mart.
The Body Shop always does a very extensive collection of gifts for the holiday. There’s a nice selection of inexpensive stocking stuffers and full size gifts for all budgets, and all conveniently gift wrapped so that you don’t have to! I highly recommend checking out the Wild Argan Oil collection (reviewed here), which is easily one of my favourite Body Shop lines.
Even for yourself, these Body Shop gifts make great travel sets. I recently brought the mango one with me to Mexico and it was the perfect size for a week-long trip. The mango scent is also so appropriate in that tropical weather.
For this holiday, the Body Shop also released three new and limited edition scents – Frosted Cranberry, Glazed Apple, and Vanilla Brulee. These three scents are so different but all encompass the spirit of Christmas! Frosted Cranberry is like fresh cranberries and Glazed Apple is like candied apple. Vanilla Brulee, my favourite of the bunch, is like creme brulee, and it smells extremely decadent. These scents are available in the usual Body Shop products, as well as a limited edition Bath Jelly that’s a super cool textured bubble bath mix.
The Body Shop holiday sets are available now at the Body Shop stores and online.
As a beauty blogger, I always find buying for men a little hard as my mind first drifts to anything beauty related. As this is my area of expertise, I do usually end up buying at least one thing that’s beauty related, whether it be a new shave gel or something. If you’re like me and enjoy buying your man the latest in beauty products, here are some recommendations for beauty-related holiday gifts!
- Hoodsie (C$80-110) (top left) – a local Vancouver-based start-up offering fleece onesies made of the softest pima cotton. These onesies are designed in Vancouver and made in their L.A. factory. I have the purple one, and I LOVE it. The cotton is ultra soft and very comfortable to wear, also making it very warm. Yes they are quite pricey, but the quality is superb.
- Saje Peaceful Warrier Kit (C$45) (top right) – another local Canadian company specializing in aromatherapy and wellness. This kit of 4 skincare products for men includes a soap bar for cleansing, toner, facial lotion, and a mineral deodorant.
- The Body Shop gift sets (middle right)- for the holidays, The Body Shop is offering a plethora of gift sets suitable for anyone in the family and beyond. My favourite of the bunch for men is the Modern Gent’s Shaving Kit with Maca Root, containing a shave cream, aftershave balm, and a shaving brush. The kit also sends a child to class, so you’re doing good at the same time.
- Micro Pedi Man (C$40) (bottom right) – a handy gadget that helps to buff away the dry skin on those dry heels. I have the women’s version and I love it – it’s super effective on dry, rough skin, yet gentle and easy enough to use at home.
- L’Occitane gift sets – L’Occitane offers a variety of gift sets for men for the holiday season. Packaged in a beautiful ready-to-gift box, it saves you the trouble of selecting the specific products. Did you know also that L’Occitane offers complementary shave experiences to men inside their boutiques? Bring your man to a store and get him to try out the products for himself before committing.
For the upcoming holiday season, I’ve put together some gift guides with gift ideas to facilitate Christmas shopping. Of course, the first people to come to mind when shopping for gifts are our very best friends.
- Fujifilm Instax Mini 8 camera ($99) – This vintage instant polaroid camera is adorable and the perfect gift to give to your friends who love taking photos. It comes with 20 exposures of film in the kit, so your friend can start snapping away immediately during the holiday seasons. See my feature of this camera here; I love it in yellow!
- My Burberry gift set ($115) – Inspired by the iconic Burberry trench coat (a staple in my closet) and modeled by two of the most well-known supermodels of the 21st century – Kate Moss and Cara Delevigne – My Burberry is a new fragrance released fall 2014. With notes of Sweet Pea, Bergamot, Geranium, Golden Quince, Freesia, Patchouli, Rain-Tipped Damask and Centifolia Roses, My Burberry is a dark floral that’s mysterious yet still fresh and feminine. The gift set includes a 50mL eau de parfum and a 100mL moisturizing mist.
- Pandora charm – I started my first Pandora bracelet this year to commemorate some of the new things that are happening in my life at the moment. As a nostalgic person, I love the idea of charm bracelets, and it just so happens that two of my best friends also have charm bracelets of their own. If your friends also have Pandora bracelets, then a charm to commemorate your friendship would be much loved!
- Dermalogica PowerBright TRx Treatment Kit ($50) – Dermalogica released their new brightening skincare system earlier this fall, and this starter kit is perfect if you have dark spots or uneven skintone.
- Clinique Sonic System Purifying Cleansing Brush ($95) – A new daily essential gadget of mine, this is a great alternative for the Clarisonic. I like mine better than the Clarisonic, and I’ve seen very good results with it. See my review here.
- Guerlain Perles d’Etoile Meteorites ($60) – A collector’s item for every makeup lover, Guerlain’s annual limited edition Meteorites release is a must have for every girl who wants to glow during the holiday season (or any other time of the year). While it is expensive, it is so luxurious and a little goes a LONG way, which means the tub of Meteorites will literally last you a lifetime, just like your friendship! You can see my review of some other Guerlain holiday products here.
- L’Occitane Arlesienne Eau de Toilette ($48) – A new (but permanent) addition to L’Occitane’s growing family of fragrances, Arlesienne is the definition of femininity. Made with extracts of rose from Grasse, sweet violet, and saffron from Provence, this scent is so girly and fresh. There are several products made with the Arlesienne scent, which you can also see here.
- The Body Shop Glazed Apple Tin of Treasures ($20) – The Body Shop released three limited edition scents for the holiday collection; my favourite of the three – Glazed Apple – is scented like candied apples! The Tin of Treasures is an adorable gift set housed in a giant silver apple and contains four travel-sized bottles of bodycare essentials for your friend to try out or take on vacation. It will for sure catch everyone’s attentions as it sits underneath the tree!
- Shu Uemura x Karl Lagerfeld Shupette – Hands down the cutest collection this holiday season, there is something for everyone. You can see my review of some of the products here. Most of the collection is sold out online, but you can still find it in stores at Holt Renfrew or the Bay. My pick is the PamPearl-Me Face Powder, which is a beautiful finishing powder for the face and/or body.
What are your holiday gift picks for this year?
Gift-shopping during the holiday season is normally so stressful, but this year, you can make your life easier with the help of the YP Shopwise app and the Gift Finder function. YP Shopwise is an app that helps you find the best deals on the internet and in stores. With the app, you can:
- Find the hottest deals in your local area;
- Search to deals on particular products, in store and online;
- Have the deals displayed on an interactive map;
- Set up alerts for the best deal on a certain product; and
- Access the flyers of the most popular retail stores.
My favourite function is that you can search for deals on a specific product. I’m currently in the market for a new Canon lens so I looked specifically using the keyword “canon” under the search function. You can then filter by category or deal type, and then click under the particular deal for more information. The deal page will post additional information such as whether the deal is available online, and the local store that may have this product available.
For the holiday season, you can also make use of their Gift Finder function which helps you narrow down gift options for people of specific categories, and list out the best deals available now for those gift options. I searched for potential gifts for my boyfriend (that aren’t beauty-related, ha ha). The resulting search contained a mix of electronics, daily essentials, and stylish accessories. The search results will vary based on the available deals at the moment, which will also help you save money in the meantime!
You can download the YP Shopwise app on iTunes and the Play store.
If you’re a deal hunter, or if you’re hard-pressed for gift ideas this holiday season, the YP Shopwise app and its Gift Finder function would be perfect for you!
This post was written by me and sponsored by YP Shopwise through Made in Blog.