This year seems to be the year of gold because there have been so many new skincare products that feature gold as a key ingredient! New for March 2016 is The Face Shop’s Hwansaenggo Escargot Gold Firming Line (phew, what a mouthful!). This range combines the luxurious brightening properties of pure 24K gold with the powerful nourishing moisturizing properties of snail mucus, which is a popular skincare ingredient in Korea.
Snail mucus has been used for centuries in skincare, known for its healing, moisturizing, and anti-aging properties. The main components of snail mucus extract are mucin, to maintain skin moisture and improve cell regeneration; allantoin, to promote the grown of new skin tissue, relieve damaged skin and improve skin texture; collagen and elastin to maintain skin elasticity; and glycolic acid to speed up cell regeneration. This, in combination with 24K gold creates the ultimate luxurious skincare product that combines all of your skincare needs in one.
The line contains five products as part of its core line:
- Hwansaenggo Escargot Cleansing Foam (C$30) – a gentle foaming cleanser that removes impurities from the skin to leave it softer, brighter and more elastic
- Hwansaenggo Escargot Toner (C$50) – this toner is more like a essence lotion that is ultra hydrating with high concentrations of snail mucus extract and gold
- Hwansaenggo Escargot Serum (C$75) – a lightweight yet nourishing serum that contains high concentrations of snail mucus extract and 24K gold to plump the skin and smooth fine lines and wrinkles
- Hwansaenggo Escargot Cream (C$69) – a nourishing face cream that contains snail mucus, 24K gold, anti-aging macadamia oil, shea butter, and calming pathenol. It’s has the texture of a gel-cream with the power of a full-on cream
- Hwansaenggo Escargot Eye Cream (C$75) – packed with snail mucus essence, 24K gold, and black ginseng, this eye cream helps to regenerate the sensitive eye area, improving elasticity, repairing damage, and protecting from external irritants
In addition, the range also includes three supplementary products to layer into your skincare routine as needed.
- Hwansaenggo Escargot Emulsion (C$69) – a lightweight hydrating milk that’s great for those with oily or combination skin types, or layered lightly underneath the Hwansaenggo Escargot Cream
- Hwansaenggo Escargot Golden Firming Gel Mask (C$8) – a gel sheet mask for the face
- Hwansaenggo Escargot Gel Eye Mask (C$6) – a gel eye patch to help revitalize the eye area
My top three favourite products of this range, and the products that I think are complete must-haves for any skincare routine, are the Hwansaenggo Escargot Toner, Hwansaenggo Escargot Serum and Hwansaenggo Escargot Cream.
The Hwansaenggo Escargot Toner, which is more like an essence lotion to help increase skin hydration, is an incredible fluid gel-lotion that contains real flecks of 24K gold that dissolves as you pat this into your skin. It is so lightweight yet ultra hydrating, and perfect for all skin types. Asian essence lotions are amazing and this version is nothing short of amazing either because my skin is always left with improved elasticity and suppleness. I honestly have nothing negative to say about this essence.
When you want to evaluate the efficacy of any skincare line, you always turn to the serum first and the is no Hwansaenggo Escargot Serum exception. Korean skincare is designed for layering, which is why you see so many different products in the same range, and this serum fits perfectly in with every other product in the range. It’s also very lightweight, but definitely packs a punch. I apply this right after my Escargot Toner
If you’re looking for an anti-aging cream that’s not too overly greasy then the Hwansaenggo Escargot Cream is a great option. This is more like a thicker gel-cream that works well on dry, normal, or dry-combination skin types. It absorbs extremely quickly into my skin, leaving a soft focus finish that’s not quite matte but not dewy either. It’s fantastic during the day, right before you apply your foundation. If you have oily skin, the Hwansaenggo Escargot Emulsion is probably your better pick because you get a lighter hydration effect without the thicker texture.
The Hwansaenggo Escargot Eye Cream would be my next best pick if you’ve got the budget – eye creams are a must-have in my book and this one performs very well for the price.
As for the other products, they’re nice-to-haves but may not be necessary depending on your skincare needs. The only product that I didn’t have luck with was the Hwansaenggo Escargot Golden Firming Gel Mask – the gel mask was extremely thick and kept falling off my face, and there wasn’t enough serum sticking to the mask itself to allow it to adhere to my skin. This one is a dud, in my opinion. The Hwansaenggo Escargot Cleansing Foam is a nice-to-have, but you aren’t really getting much skincare benefits out of a foaming cleanser that washes off, so if you have an existing cleanser that you like, you can just stick to that. There’s no need to switch to this cleanser, unless you’re really insistent on getting the entire line.
The Face Shop Hwansaenggo Escargot Gold Firming Line is available starting March 2016 at The Face Shop locations across Canada.