Hands down, the stars of the Dior Holiday 2015 collection are definitely the Diorific Mat Velvet Lipsticks and the Diorific Vernis. Continuing the trend from the last couple of holidays, this year’s lipsticks and nail polishes are also housed in the vintage gold lipstick packaging, which I absolutely adore. The highlight of this year’s release is that the lipsticks are a beautiful velvety matte finish and not the usual cream or satin finish.
Check out part 1 of my Dior Holiday collection review here.
The Diorific Mat Velvet Lipsticks come in four shades. The texture of these lipsticks are one of the best I’ve ever seen in a matte finish. They are not true mattes because they have a creamy velvet finish, but that’s also what makes them extremely comfortable and not at all drying to wear – I normally have very dry lips and these don’t cling to dry spots at all. The Diorific Mat Lipsticks are also super opaque with rich, beautiful pigment in just one swipe, and wears for several hours on me.
- 430 Radieuse – a matte peachy nude, this one is the least pigmented of the four and also the least creamy.
- 580 Fascinante – a creamy matte dusty rose, my favourite of the four.
- 750 Fabuleuse – a creamy matte red, a classic red that is also the most creamy with the least matte finish.
- 770 Fantastique – a creamy matte fuchsia, the boldest of the four that wears smoothly and never drying.
The Diorific Vernis also come in four shades for this holiday. I’ve been a huge fan of Dior’s nail polish formulas for years, and I’ve amassed quite a large collection of them over the years. The best thing about Dior’s nail polish formula is it flat, wide brush that is ultra easy to use and provides an even coat of colour in just one swipe. Dior polishes generally last about a week on me (with top coat) with minor tip wear and minimal chipping, however when I tested these out, I saw significant chipping after just 3 days of wear. Most of my nails were chipped off by the 7th day, which is disappointing.
- 001 State of Gold – glittery gold suspended in a clear base. This one is my least favourite of the four because it’s much thicker than the others and doesn’t apply as smoothly
- 227 Gris-Or – a metallic grey-gold that is perfect for the holiday seasons. This is light and applies very smoothly, dries down fast, but will show streak marks because of its metallic nature.
- 951 Passion – a classic red that has an ultra high shine, cream finish.
- 991 Mystere – a beautiful creamy burgundy red that looks great layered underneath 001 State of Gold. This one has a slightly translucent finish that’s almost jelly-like.
Lastly, there are two shades of Dior Addict Gloss:
- 322 Sparkle – a peachy gloss with lots of sparkle, applies sheerly with mostly just sparkle. This looks best layered on top of another lip colour.
- 613 Cygne Noir – a rosy base with silver sparkles. This one applies with a bit more colour and can be worn alone.
I’m not a huge fan of Dior’s gloss formula because I find it sticky, relatively thick, and not pigmented enough to wear alone. I’m a low maintenance type of person when it comes to makeup so less is more, and the need to layer automatically deducts points from a product’s review. That being said, if you like the sparkly look, then these are definitely for you. They look great over an intimate candlelit dinner, or at a new year’s party.
Buy: 5 Couleurs Eyeshadow Palettes in 886 Blazing Gold (reviewed), Diorific Mat Velvet Colour Lipsticks,
Maybes: Dior Addict Gloss, 5 Couleurs Eyeshadow Palettes in 576 Eternal Gold (reviewed)
Skip: Diorific Vernis, Diorshow Fusion Mono Eyeshadow in 631 Blazing
Diorific Mat Velvet Colour Lipstick in Radieuse, Fascinante, Fabuleuse and Fantastique
Diorific Vernis in State of Gold, Gris-Or, Passion, and Mystere
Wearing Diorific Mat Velvet Lipstick in 580 Fascinante